Monday, April 14, 2014

Places to Train for Gunung Kinabalu Hike

Sorry for the long hiatus people. I've been busy with projects and finding the time to train for the Gunung Kinabalu hike. With about a week more to go, I hope I am ready to conquer Gunung Kinabalu.

With the weeks I have spent training for the hike, here are some of the places one can train at to prep up for the actual hike.

Week 1 - Gunung Lambak - Kluang, Johor
Week 3 - Chiling Waterfalls - Kuala Kubu Baru, Selangor
Week 5 - Gunung Angsi (I cheated a bit on this one by using the unofficial route) -  Kuala Pilah, Negeri Sembilan
Week 6 - Gunung Datuk - Negeri Sembilan
Week 7 - Gunung Angsi - Kuala Pilah, Negeri Sembilan
Week 9 - Gunung Nuang - Hulu Langat, Selangor
Week 10 - The Gap - Fraser's Hill, Pahang
Week 11 - Bukit Gasing (was taking it easy by this time around)

My uncle was the one that came up with this training plan. Since he is a very seasoned hiker, he knows best on how to gradually build up my stamina and endurance.

Having had training on the other mountains, Bukit Gasing was just a stroll in the park. Really it was!! The 45 minute hike (up and down) was nothing at all. Not to boast, but apparently to my friend, it seemed like I was trying to sprint up the hill. And trust me, I was not. I felt like I was just casually walking up the hill....

In my opinion, I would say Gunung Nuang would be to test your endurance. I daresay if you are able to reach the summit without pains, then you should be able to reach Laban Rata without much problems later.
It's about a 7-8 hour hike (up and down) so that's about the time to hike up to Laban Rata.

If you want to prep yourself  for the steep inclines, I would say Gunung Datuk would be the best bet.
I think this one took me about 4-5 hours to clear. Phew, but really, after hiking this mountain, it really does give you a feel of what you're getting yourself into at Gunung Kinabalu.

Wish me luck for my hike for the real thing!!

No comments: